Thursday, June 5, 2008

So this is what it feels like to be pregnant...

So I had just seen my baby for the first time during a sonogram and everything looked ok. I finally let myself believe that I was pregnant. It didn't really feel much different. I did have some morning sickness. But I was lucky that it wasn't all day sickness. I also felt extremely tired all the time. I wasn't prepared for that. I have many friends who have babies and no one ever told me that during the first trimester I wouldn't have the energy to do anything, not even talk. I remember times when I would be laying on my couch and fall asleep in mid-conversation with my husband. I couldn't keep my eyes open past 8pm. I couldn't even imagine going through my first trimester with other small children. My hat's off to those mom's that do it.

But other than the morning sickness that caused inconvenience for a few minutes every day, and the sheer exhaustion, I didn't feel pregnant. I knew it was too early to start showing or feeling any kicking. But there were days when I was just really worried because I didn't feel different at all. Did that mean that something was wrong or that I wasn't pregnant anymore and didn't know it? So I started looking forward to my doctor's appointments because then I would be able to hear my baby's heart beating.

Then like a switch, I felt fine in my 12th week. No more morning sickness and I was able to make it to the late news without going into a state of unconsciousness. But I still didn't feel pregnant. I had moments where I thought I felt something but wrote it off as gas or indigestion because I knew I wouldn't truly be able to feel anything for several more weeks. But I was able to follow other pregnancy symptoms in my handy dandy What To Expect book. I tried not to read ahead because I was afraid that I either wouldn't be on track with the book or that I would become a hypochondriac and start to experience everything that the book said. The book was actually pretty much on target. Great investment.

No comments: