Thursday, June 12, 2008

Am I ready for maternity clothes...

Now that I was in my 2nd trimester, my body started changing. I wasn't quite showing yet but my belly was definitely getting bigger and my hips seemed to widen. I kind of wanted maternity clothes because I wanted to start showing. I wanted physical outward signs that I was pregnant. There is nothing more frustrating than being pregnant but not feeling or looking pregnant.

I was still able to get my pants up and zipped but I stopped buttoning them up. I would just fold in the flaps at the top of the pants. But I was getting too anxious. I went out and bought some maternity pants. I didn't know what to buy though because I wasn't showing yet. They have these pillows that you can tie around your waist to get an idea of how your maternity pants will fit. I am short too so it was difficult to find petite or short pants. But I found some and bought 4 pairs and stuck them in the back of my closet. Then a friend told me to tie a rubber band around the button of the pants, string it through the loop and hook the open end back around the button. This worked very well for some time. I was rubber banding my pants for at least a couple of months.

When it was finally time for the maternity pants, I hated them. The crotch was way too low. When I pulled them up so the crotch fit, they were too short! I don't know if this happens to regular length pants but it was very frustrating. I had to wear tops that covered the crotch so I could wear them low enough that the length was ok. I looked and felt ridiculous. And the maternity shop has a no returns policy. I wasn't even able to exchange them because it was past the 30 day cut off. My fault for going out to early to buy the pants.

Fortunately, I was able to find a couple more pants that were better. And maternity type tops were in style for regular clothes at the time. I was able to get shirts that were flowy from the juniors department. They looked like maternity and they were cute. I just didn't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that I wouldn't be able to wear for more than a couple of months. I actually wore my regular work pants throughout my entire pregnancy. I was able to get them up past my butt and I didn't even bother zipping them or using my rubber band. I was able to just fold down the sides and cover up with my long tops. It worked out.

I was also lucky that the majority of my pregnancy would fall into one season. It was warm pretty much throughout so I didn't have to go out and buy clothes for different weather.

Now I have all of these adorable tops that aren't maternity but they served that purpose while I was pregnant. I want to wear them again now but I am afraid people will automatically assume I am pregnant again! Oh well. I will have to wait until baby number 2, I guess.

No comments: