Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I don't think I can get much bigger...

Once my belly started growing, there was no stopping. It seemed like I just popped one day and went from looking like a chubby woman to looking like a pregnant woman. How exciting! I loved looking pregnant.

But some things happened when I got my belly that I wasn't expecting and that no one ever told me. Keep in mind that I am short so some of these things may not seem like a big deal but for me, they were.
*Driving - I had to sit further away from the steering wheel which made it difficult for me to reach the pedals. My car seat was very flexible and did so much more than slide just forward and backward. Thank God for adjustable seats.
*Work - I had to sit further away from my desk which made it difficult to get to my keyboard. I had to work with the keyboard on my lap a lot of the time.
*Shaving - It is hard to shave when you can't see past the beach ball portruding out of your stomach. Needless to say I abandoned the shaving for a while until I (and my husband) couldn't stand it anymore.
*Urine samples - I soon discovered that the OBGYN asked for a urine sample every single visit. I would save whatever I had so I could give a good sample. As my belly grew, I would drink as much water as I could before I went to my appointment because I could never quite get any in the cup on the first try. Fortunately they kept the bathroom stocked with little plastic cups and you can believe I did a lot of hand washing.
*Walls - I all of a sudden couldn't judge distance. I would turn a corner and slam my belly right into a wall. I am not talking about unfamiliar places. I would walk into things at my house. I am very familiar with where the walls are in my house and can usually walk around with no problem, even in the dark. But those walls started jumping in my way as soon as I had a belly.
*Sleep - I felt like a turtle on its back. I couldn't turn very easily from one side to the other and had to make my move in stages. A little rotation here, another adjustment there. I used the sheets to pull myself around and actually have holes in several sets of sheets where I grabbed hold and stuck a finger through the fabric.

No one tells you these things are going to happen. Why don't they put this stuff in those books. Some of the joys of going through pregnancy for the first time!

No comments: