Friday, June 20, 2008

Did he just move...

I had been feeling "movements" for a few weeks. Everything that I had read said that it was too early to be feeling the baby move but I swore I did. At that point I was very familiar with what gas felt like and this wasn't gas. I also know what hunger feels like and it wasn't hunger either. So in my head I just knew that I was feeling my little guy moving around in there. I didn't say this out loud because I figured other mommies would think I was nutty.

Then I felt true movement. It was probably around the 18th week or so. It felt like little flutters, like little butterflies flitting around. I also described it as bugs crawling all over. But that didn't sound as romantic. Now I know that the "movements" I had felt before probably weren't the baby. Maybe it was just my body changing to accommodate the baby, but I know it wasn't gas or hunger.

I longed for the feeling of my son moving around. When he didn't move, I got nervous. Though I did find out that babies in the womb go through sleep cycles so it is possible not to feel movements for several hours but I still worried. I would tap on my belly, drink juices, eat, sing, cough just to make him move.

And the movements were not visible to anyone else yet. So it was like my little secret. I would be in a meeting at work and I would feel him. It was hard to concentrate because I was just so enraptured with what was going on inside my body. I am sure I missed a few important notes during those few weeks.

No comments: