Wednesday, June 18, 2008

To paint or not to paint...

My spare room was going to become my son's new room. I had been scouring the Internet and the local baby stores for the perfect room decor. My husband is really into sports so I was thinking about a sports theme but it all seemed more like for a little boy than a little baby. I also wasn't sure if I wanted everything to be blue. I love blue but I thought that I wanted something a little different. And then I found it. It was a Mommy & Me theme that was had beiges and browns and sage greens. It doesn't sound very baby-like but it was perfect. And it had tons of mama animals with their babies.

I got the border and the bedding and the rug and the light switch plate. I went all out. But now I had a dilemma. The room was pretty plain. The paint color was a light cream color which matched the wallpaper border. I wasn't planning to paint at all but then I realized that the greens in the decor matched the paint color of my living room perfectly. And I had leftover paint. So I contemplated painting the lower half of the wall green with the border in the middle and the existing paint color on the top half. By now I was about 5 months pregnant and had a pretty good sized belly going. I was concerned about the amount of bending that would be involved. I was also extremely concerned about the fumes and the harmful effects of the paint on me and/or my baby.

My options were to either not paint at all or to have my husband do it. Those didn't seem like options to me. I had my heart set on the green and I also had my heart set on doing it myself. It was almost like a bonding experience with my baby in a way.

So I did my research on the paint that I had on hand. I was told that the type of paint I had didn't contain any lead and wasn't harmful. But you always have doubt, even when someone tells you it is ok. I figured that it should be ok and I went to work for 3 days. It was the middle of summer and was so hot outside. I had all the windows open, had fans going full speed, took frequent breaks and had my husband help (just a little). I am really not a control freak but I just really wanted to this room how I liked it.

In the end, it was the most perfect room ever. I am not much of a decorator but I swear this room could have been in a magazine. I am guessing that was my mommy bias talking!

No comments: