Thursday, June 5, 2008

Genetic testing - should we do it...

I had a lot of hesitation when it was time for genectic testing. I guess it was probably around my 12th week and I was told that they would be able to look at the scan to determine the skin fold at the back of the baby's neck. They also check for the amount of fluid in the sac around the head and for the nose profile. There is also a series of tests that can be done by taking a blood sample. I was torn because I wanted to know if everything was ok with my baby. On the other hand, if something was wrong, it wouldn't be a factor whether I continued with the pregnancy or not. I was going to do everything in my power to carry this baby to term. In the end, I decided to have the tests. If there was something developmentally wrong with the baby, at least I would have time to prepare and research everything beforehand.

I didn't have any high-risk factors but it was still nerve-wracking waiting for the results.

Everything appeared to be normal with the baby. Of course that isn't 100% so there was still the possibility that the baby would be born with a genetic defect. But the chances were very slim. It was a relief but I feel for those moms who find out not-so-good news.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is baby #2 for me. Baby #1 I did EVERYTHING that was offered (test wise) This time I wanted to take it easy...it came time on May 6th to get a routine Dr appt. The asked me if I wanted to get the quad screen done, I told them no, then after the appt something TOLD me to get it done...I have no idea what...anyway I get the results back and they said it came back positive for down syndrome. So I had to wait 3 weeks to get a amnio done (May 28th) That wasn't pleasant feeling. I was told that I would have to wait 14 business days to get the results which put me at June 17th. All the u/s I have had done the baby dud not want to open the legs, so when they did the amnio on me they told me that would be able to tell me what I was having......

Here's the 2nd part of the story I did June 9th:

So the sex of the baby was really irking me for some ungolly reason yesterday. I decided to call and see if any results were back with the Amnio even tho I had a feeling that they were not't back this early...I took a change today...anyway....I called at 8am and she called me about 230 this afternoon and told me she had good news for me. The test results came back good with NO DS and then she also asked me if I wanted to know the sex...umm yes...she said they can't tell in the u/s and I told her everytime I got one done the baby had the legs closed....she said are you sure you want to know...I was like ummmm YES please She said it's 100% confirmed a GIRL!!!!!!!!

I am so happy...one for the test to come back good and two that I am having a girl.....I tell you what...this pg is WAAAAAY different than my first one. This baby moves, boy does she move. I'm happy about everything being ok...

You can email me @ jeffreysmom06@yahoo.com if you'd like