Monday, June 30, 2008

Glucose testing...

Another thing that pregnant women don't tell other pregnant women is that they have to do a glucose test. The glucose test is to determine how well your pregnant body can metabolize sugars. This will tell the doctors whether the mother has gestational diabetes.

I was scheduled for the test and all I knew was that there was another blood test involved. Ok, so I thought I better get over this fear of needles quickly. It isn't necessarily needles, but more the fact that the needle has to go into a vein and pull out blood. Ewwww!!!! Either way, I had to get over it because I knew that I would probably have to have it done more before the pregnancy was over.

I fasted one hour before the test. The lab technician drew blood. It wasn't pleasant. I hated it. Then I had to drink a sugary orange liquid. It was like orange "juice" that you drink as a kid. It wasn't that bad. I thought I was done. I thought wrong. I had to sit there for an hour and then had to get another blood test. This time they couldn't get a good vein so they had to take it from a vein in my hand. I thought I was going to pass out. I was never so glad for something to be over.

Now I just had to wait for the results. A couple of days later I got a phone call from my doctor. I failed! You know what that means? I had to do this again but this time it was a 3-hour test, not just 1 hour. I figured I would just put it off as long as I could but I had to face it sooner or later.

No comments: