Monday, June 30, 2008

Flying...

I had to travel pretty frequently for work. During a big project I was flying out at least twice a month and staying away for a week at a time. Now that I was pregnant, I had second thoughts about flying. The big project was over so I wasn't required to be away as much but it did come up occasionally. It wasn't so much that I couldn't physically or medically fly but I just didn't want to be away from home - just in case something happened.

Well the first trip that I had to make wasn't very pleasant. We had a very early flight so I had to be up REALLY REALLY early to make sure I was able to get through security in time. The airport is extremely busy for that early morning flight because all of the business travelers use it. I wasn't sleeping well so it was a challenge just getting out of bed.

I got to the airport a little late. Not surprising because that is how I roll. Anyway, the line for security was out the door and I hadn't even checked in yet. I check in and get to the back of the line. I am now freaking out because I just know that I am going to miss this flight. I just know it.

Then this security guard angel came up to me and told me to go down the stairs to a secret security checkpoint. I didn't really look pregnant yet so I don't think it was sympathy. So I go down the stairs and there are these security traffic controllers. They directed me to another part of the airport. Unfortunately I had to walk a far distance and I didn't have decent walking shoes on. I finally got to the checkpoint and am soaked with sweat. I know - pretty gross considering that I had to sit on a plane with people in close proximity and I had to meet with clients. But at least I would make my flight.

I handed over my ID and my boarding pass and immediately realized that I had a problem. My license was still in my maiden name because I never changed it (still haven't) and the ticket was in my married name. Again, I had a little freakout in my head. I explained it to the guard and they let me go through, no questions asked.

I had to take my shoes off. I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if I would be able to get them back on now that my feet were starting to swell. I went through the rest of the security line and was cleared. Yeah!!! Well, not yet.

Then I had to climb about a thousand stairs (no elevator or escalator) and then go outside and take a short ride on a bus.

By the time I got to the boarding gate, I was an absolute mess. But, I was on time.

The flight wasn't that long but by the time we landed, I definitely couldn't get my shoes on all the way. I was hungry and miserable and hobbling around. I wasn't happy.

The trip was a success and we flew back that evening but I felt like I had been gone for about 2 weeks. I decided then that I wouldn't fly again while I was pregnant and I wasn't afraid to use the pregnancy card. The moral of the story - get to the airport on time.

No comments: