Thursday, June 5, 2008

Why is this happening again...

So I had been going along quite nicely. I had hit my 3 month mark. The chances of miscarriage are greatly reduced after the first trimester. Just knowing that was a weight off my shoulders. I had gotten my shot for the RH factor, I had some bleeding but I had the explanation and it wasn't harmful to the baby, I wasn't getting sick in the mornings anymore, I wasn't as tired as I was at first. Then it happened. I started bleeding again. Panic set in and I called the doctor. They ordered another sonogram. This was now my second sonogram in 3 weeks.

The first sonogram was overwhelming because I was able to see the heartbeat for the first time. But the second sonogram was even more dramatic because now I could see the distinct shape of my baby. It was at this appointment that I was told that I had placenta previa. This is a condition where the placenta covers a portion or all of the cervix and can cause bleeding. This isn't usually harmful and usually corrects itself by the 18th week. But it meant no intimate encounters with my husband. That was ok because I didn't feel like it anyway.

So now I had the full reason for the bleeding and it did happen a few more times. But it was always light and didn't last for more than 24 hours. I still worried but I put my faith in the doctors and it all worked out in the end.

No comments: