Friday, June 27, 2008

What will happen to my puppies...

I have two dogs. One is 55lbs and extremely hyperactive. The other one is 95lbs and just the sweetest, most gentle, mellow dog you can meet. I loved cuddling on the couch with the hyper one. She is also very sweet when she is sleepy.

Anyway, as my belly got bigger, it was harder for me to cuddle with my pup. That got me thinking and made me sad. What would happen to my "kids" when I had a new baby? Would they feel neglected? Would they hate me? Would they hate the baby and want to eat him? Up to that point, I hadn't even thought about how this new baby would affect their lives and how it would affect my relationship with them. Those who don't have pets/dogs probably think I am a lunatic. I mean, they are just dogs, right? But those who love their pets know that they become part of the family.

I had to get them prepared for a new member of the family. First, I spent a lot of time in the baby's room and made the dogs spend time with me there. The hyper dog sniffed and investigated that room for weeks. The other one couldn't care less about the room. I just didn't want their first exposure to the room to be when I brought baby home.

I also got a doll and dressed it like a baby. I put on the diaper with baby poweder. I dressed it in baby clothes that had been washed in baby detergent. I carried this "baby" around with me so they would get used to me having something in my arms and so they would get used to the smells of a baby. I didn't do what babies do in diapers but I wanted to get them as prepared as possible - even I have my limits.

I thought my little experient was going very well. They learned not to jump when I had the "baby" in my arms. They didn't freak out when they entered baby's room. Success!

Then one day, I walked into my living room and my little hyper monster was chewing on the "baby's" face. AHHHHH!!!

No comments: