Monday, September 15, 2008

Sick again...

We have been really lucky. My son has only been sick once. On Friday night I noticed that he was sneezing. He sneezes at least twice a day so sneezing in itself doesn't worry me. But he did it a few times. He wasn't overly cranky and didn't seem to have any other symptoms of sickness.

We went to bed and he woke up several times in the middle of the night. We have been doing really great with our sleeping habits. He rarely gets up and if he does it is just for a minute or so and then back to bed. But he was crying so hard and seemed to be in such distress that I picked him up. I took him to the rocking chair and just held him until he calmed down. In the back of my mind I was hoping that I hadn't just ruined his sleeping through the night without being picked up. I was just so heartbroken by his sad cries. He eventually calmed down and drifted into a restless sleep. I held him for a long time, wanting him to feel secure. I hadn't connected this with the sneezing and the possibility that he was sick. I put him back in his crib and slept for a few hours. He woke up again around 3am and I was able to get him back to sleep without picking him up.

In the morning he seemed his bright cheerful self but he seemed to be burning up. I took his temperature right away and it was a little high - 99.7 degrees. I called the doctor but they told me that since it was under 100 that I should just give him a little baby tylenol and wait it out.

By now his nose was dripping. Every time he sneezed he had a river of boogies flowing down his nose. Even when he was sneezing, his nose was a faucet. I spent my Saturday wiping snots and sucking them out with his handy dandy boogie puller. I am sure he hated me by the time he went to bed.

The tylenol worked to bring down his fever. I took his temperature several times and it wasn't that high throughout the day. Around 8pm his little head seemed to be radiating heat. I took his temp and it was back up to 99.7. I gave him a little more medicine and gave him a nice cool bath. He loved that bath so I let him play in the water for a long time.

He hadn't been taking his bottle much so I was trying to get more liquid into him. He had a bunch of wet diapers so I wasn't concerned that he was dehydrated, I was just trying to prevent it. I had some pedialyte but he took one sip and refused to open his mouth after that. He took a little formula and then passed out. He didn't even wake up while I changed his diaper. I put him to bed and he didn't wake up until around 6am. I, on the other hand, couldn't sleep at all. I was worried about him and I kept listening for his little noises as he moved in his crib. He woke up cheerful as ever. His temp was back down to normal and he was sniffling but not flowing out of his nose. He napped for about an hour at around 8am. By the time the football game came on I knew he was sleepy. I took him up to my room where he was playing. He was rubbing his eyes so I laid down on the bed with him on my chest and he fell asleep right away. I gently moved him to the bed and cuddled him. I must have fallen asleep too because next thing I knew, it was 2 hours later. He was still fast asleep and I didn't want to move for fear of waking him up. So I stayed where I was, uncomfortable but I didn't care. He slept for another hour and when he woke up, I couldn't move my arm. As the feeling came back into my limbs, I realized that he wasn't sniffling at all. I took his temp and it was still normal.

Hopefully that was the end of it. The weather is starting to turn so I hope it doesn't bring on something else. I am just happy that this happened on the weekend so I could be home with him all day, making sure he was ok.

No comments: