Friday, September 12, 2008

First steps...

He has been trying to walk for a while. Yesterday he was at my mother's house. I went there after work to pick him and we were visiting for a while. There are always toys scattered in the living room when he is there. My mother's house is otherwise immaculate and the mess seems out of place. I am surprised because she always wants me to let him eat his own food with his fingers, no matter how messy the food it. I tell her that he likes to throw things - one piece in the mouth, the next piece on the floor. But she loves it. It is funny how kids can affect someone's views on cleanliness. Before I had my son, I vowed that I wouldn't be one of those mom's whose house was an obstacle course of toys. Now, if you come to my house, you have to be nimble and flexible to get around everything that is strewn from living room to dining room. He has the run of the house and I don't mind one bit. It is his house too and he is not scared to make himself comfortable.

Anyway, I got to my mother's house and he was happily playing with his little squeaky ducky. He loves ducks. He stood up at a chair and I held out my hands for him to walk to me. Usually he gets down on his knees and crawls. But he let go of the chair and took 3 wobbly steps toward me. He stepped on his little squeaky duck and that threw him completely off balance. If that duck had not been in the way, he probably could have gone a mile. I tried and tried to get him to do it again but by this time he was too excited and I couldn't get him steady enough to go without falling immediately. I have to remind myself that he is only 10-1/2 months old and I have to be patient. It is just too exciting! I am hoping he is walking by his first birthday. I want him to impress everyone by walking into his party.

No comments: