Thursday, September 18, 2008

Morning routine...

Every morning I get my son up, change him and attempt to give him a bottle. He never eats more than 2 ounces first thing in the morning. I know he will not eat but I give it to him anyway because I am worried that if I wait until later, one morning he will be really hungry and I will be depriving him of food. So I give him a couple of ounces and then try again in another hour or so.

If he gets up early, we play. If he gets up later, I have to start getting ready right away so I drag him into the bathroom with me. He still has some sniffles so I figure the steam of the shower will be good for him anyway. In our living room, he likes to stand on our couch at the window and pull the curtain back so he can peek out. It is one of the cutest things (of many) that he does. Just because I wonder what he thinks as he grasps the fabric and pulls it back. It seems like such and adult thing to do and it makes me smile every time. Anyway, back to the bathroom. He has connected that action with the shower curtain. He will pull it back and look down at the water as it flows down the drain. In the past couple of weeks he has really been drawn to his little books. I read to him every night but he likes to open them and touch the pages by himself. He is pretty loud in the morning and likes to shriek at the top of his lungs. I brought one of his favorite books into the bathroom thinking he would be content to look at it for the 10 minutes I am in the shower. I also give him a lot of his bath toys to play with. He has started to pull the curtain back and drop his toys into the tub, one by one. I pick them up and rinse them off and throw them back out onto a towel that I lay on the floor. It is annoying to me but the best game in the world for him. Today he threw his board book into the shower. I hope it isn't ruined because he loves it so much. I think it might be though because I could tell that the thick pages were starting to separate. I guess bath toys should be the only toys in the bathroom from now on.

Then he continues to play around my feet while I put on my make-up. He plays in the bedroom as I iron my clothes and finish getting ready. I try not to give him up to his father until the last minute as I am walking out the door. I wonder when the time will come that he won't want his mommy to spend so much time with him. Hopefully not for another 12 or 13 years.

No comments: