Monday, October 27, 2008

What a mess...

So this morning my son got up earlier than usual, by about a 1/2 hour or so. I didn't mind because that would give me time to get ready for work and then sit and relax with him and maybe give him his breakfast which is usually his daddy's job. I have probably written this before but our morning routine consists of me changing him and giving him a bottle. He is not a big eater in the morning but I just give him a couple of ounces to hold him over until he gets his oatmeal. Then I gather up a bunch of toys and bring them into the bathroom with me. He gets to play with toys on the floor while I shower. I can keep an eye on him and I play peek-a-boo from behind the shower curtain. Usually everything is fine and I am able to spend time with him while I get ready for work.

Today started out no different. I got into the shower and his new trick is to get between the shower curtain and the shower liner and walk back and forth over and over again. He did that for a while and then started banging one of his toys on the floor. Then he was quiet all of a sudden. I peeked out and he was sitting quietly with no pants on playing with a toy. His pants somehow came off of him so he was just in his onesie. I done within less than a minute of checking on him. I toweled off and got out of the shower.

The scene before me almost made my heart stop. He was sitting in what appeared to be a pool of blood. I think my heart did stop. Then I realized what it really was. Bright Red Nail Polish! That's right. Nail polish! I have no idea where he got it from. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used nail polish. Certainly not since before I was pregnant. But there it was, all over him and all over the floor. I was stunned for a minute and didn't know where to start. I picked him up and put him in the empty tub. Then I sopped up the mess on the floor with some nail polish remover that I found in a cupboard. It came up but you can still see the slight pinkish tint.

The problem was that my husband couldn't get in the door to help until I was able to get the mess on the floor cleaned up first. He was then able to get in and we got the water going in the bath tub. My son had nail polish all over his legs and on one hand. We got it off of his hand but couldn't get it off of his legs and feet. I didn't want to use the remover on his skin but nothing else seemed to be working. I called the doctor and she told me to use baby oil and soak him in a tub to get it loosened and gently scrub it off. I had to leave that for my husband because I had to get to work. Hopefully it worked. I guess this is my introduction to things like crayon on the walls, etc. That extra 1/2 hour that I thought I would have to spend time with him, I did spend time with him. But I wasn't expecting it to be on clean-up duty. Oh well. I am just glad it wasn't worse.

No comments: