Thursday, October 2, 2008

Walking machine...

My son has been "walking" for a few weeks. At first he would go a couple of steps and fall. Then he would crawl to his destination. As the days went by, he started to add more steps before falling. When he was able to get halfway across the room before falling on his little bottom, my husband and I were so excited.

The change was so gradual and very quick at the same time. Yesterday when I got home from work, my husband informed me that our son was no longer crawling. I found that was a slight exaggeration but it was almost true. Where before he was indifferent to whether he crawled or walked, he was now almost exclusively walking. And this all happened in a day.

He is more confident with his steps. He still falls a lot but he can get further and further before he does. He also gets up from the middle of the floor. Before he would need something to pull up on to get into a standing position and to get steady enough to begin his trek. I was truly amazed that this had happened so quickly, literally overnight.

He still looks like a wobbly and almost drunk but I just figure it is his signature walk for now. He has even shown signs of wanting to run. He will come stumbling toward me at a great rate of speed and it is a wonder that he can even stay up.

A friend of mine had her baby 3 months before me. I asked her what her son is doing these days. He took his first steps the day after his 1st birthday and it took a few weeks for him to get the hang of it. Apparently he is now running and never wants to sit down. I feel like we are not that far behind that stage.

In any case, it is very exciting. To see this little tiny person walking around is so funny and miraculous at the same time. I just don't get how they instinctively know how to do it without anyone teaching them. Just one day they are immobile, then they start rolling, then on all fours, then rocking back and forth until they move, then crawling, then standing up and cruising, then walking and running. What is next? I am sure he will be roller blading next month.

No comments: